Wednesday, October 16, 2013

{31 Days of Coastal Style} Maps and Globes and Charts, Oh My!


If you saw yesterday's "modern coastal cottage" tour, you'll know that I have a major crush on all things cartographic! Maps, globes, and nautical charts... they all make me swoon! Here are 10 of my favorite uses for maps and globes in decorating:

1) Frame one large map for a fabulous focal point.
665 square foot cabin - small space living with style
Source: Exceptionally Vintage
2) Hang smaller maps in framed a gallery wall.
Old maps in frames
Source unknown, pinned here
framed maps
Source: Country Living
3) Use pushpins to hang maps as wallpaper.
Use maps as wallpaper for walls.
Source: The Inspired Room
4) Make a map-tastic focal wall with a map mural.
Wallpapered_Britain-antiques-map1
Source
5) Decoupage maps onto bland furniture for a pop of coastal color.
COOL!!
Source: DomesticEase
6) Cover cardboard letters with smaller bits of maps.
Around the World Letter
Source: Urban Outfitters

7) Maps make fabulous mats for vacation photos!
use a map as a mat
Source
8) For a big impact, cluster a collection of globes large and small!
I like the globes....... Neutral Base for colorful accessories! More ideas for decorating with gray:  http://www.bhg.com/decorating/color/neutrals/decorating-with-gray/
Source: BHG
9) Use a globe that's seen better days as a stylish bowl for decorative accents.
Upcycle a globe into a stand-out centerpiece. More tips for bargain decor: http://www.bhg.com/decorating/budget-decorating/cheap/style-tips-for-bargain-decor/?socsrc=bhgpin050913globebowl=9
Source: BHG
10) Turn globes into pendant lights.
classroom idea... Love the pendant lights made from globes!
Source: HomeGoods

Globes are one of the things that I find myself buying whenever I spot them at thrift stores or garage sales. (I've never paid more than $3 for any of them) Right now I have three of them on display on my living room bookshelf!



IMHO, no coastal space is finished without a map or globe or two (or three... or TEN!) For more awesome ideas with all things cartography, check out my Pinterest board!

Do you love maps or globes? What item do you grab whenever you spot it in a store?











Parties I link to:
Sunday:
Monday:
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:

1 comment :

  1. That last pic is your house?! Oh my!! It fits right in with all of those gorgeous designer home photos you were showing!! Beautimous!!! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love love LOVE comments! Please take a second and leave me one... it'll make my day!