Thursday, October 24, 2013

{31 Days of Coastal Style} Beachy Bathroom On a Budget- Reveal!


In most "normal" home tours, they start with  the more public places, like the entryway or the living room, right? Well, I'm definitely not "normal"... LOL. So therefore I start my home tour in the bathroom! But what can I say-- it is one of my favorite rooms in the house, thanks not only to the "beachy" theme, but to the fact that it cost just under $40 to redo!



The greige/taupe wall color was already there when we moved in, but I knew it would work well with the aqua, tan and white beachy color scheme I had in mind! The shower curtain was a Goodwill score. Fabric shower curtains that fit my color scheme are another thing I scoop up whenever I see them, because they make great sources of fabric! (Where else can you get two yards of cute cloth for $2-4?) This one, though, ended up staying in its original form, since its coloring and understated coastal style fit perfectly in here!



The cabinet above the toilet was originally an orangey-oak roadside castoff, so it got a new coat of gloss white-- thanks to my BFF, Rustoleum spray-paint. (Sorry I didn't get any "before" pics-- this was during our mad 2-week rush to finish the house and move in!) I even swapped the dated, plain knobs out for these adorable starfish ones I found at Menards:


The only brand-new purchases I made for this room were these coastal-themed wall plaques. I spotted them at Walmart and knew they were exactly what I needed to bring together the existing wall color and the items that I already owned.


And of course you probably recognize my DIY driftwood "BEACH" sign! Cost: FREE-- my favorite price! ;)

The bath mat is actually a plush rug I found on clearance at Shopko a year or so ago. In our old house, it was in front of the woodstove, covering up the burnt spots where embers from the stove had burned the carpet. Now that we're in our new home, we don't have a woodstove anymore, so the rug found its perfect spot in the bathroom! :)


I tried to keep the "tchotchkes" to a minimum, in order to keep the overall feeling light and airy. The cabinet shelf holds a hand-painted lighthouse/beach scene plaque (found at a local crafts fair), and a starfish I found at a thrift store. :) On the back of the toilet, a garage sale whitewashed tray holds cell phones and pocket paraphernalia when we go to take a shower. 



There are still some things I want to do in here to "take it to the next level". My next goal is to install board and batten in here, just like this, and replace the towel rod with individual hooks (maybe even like these). But for now, I'm happy with it! (And hubby is, too! He usually doesn't comment much on my design choices, but he said several times how much he loves our "light and fresh" bathroom!)

Source/price breakdown:
Shower curtain: thrifted (brand- Fieldcrest Luxury)-- $3.99
Floor mat: Shopko clearance, already owned
Wall cabinet: free, painted with Krylon spray paint in gloss white (2 cans @ 3.68 each)-- $7.36
Starfish knobs: Menards, ($3.24 each)-- $6.48
Wall plaques: Walmart ($3.97 each)-- $15.88
Driftwood sign: DIY-- free
Hand-painted beach scene plaque: craft fair-- $5.00
Starfish: thrifted-- $0.50
Whitewashed tray: rummage sale-- $0.25
TOTAL COST: $39.46

I'd call that a successful budget makeover, wouldn't you? ;)

Have you done any makeovers on a budget lately? Do you splurge on certain items that you know will make a big impact (like I did on the plaques)?




Parties I link to:
Sunday:
Monday:
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:




2 comments :

  1. Beautiful Kathryn! It is really beautiful and I love creating things out if thriftstore and roadside finds! :)

    Iris♥

    ReplyDelete

I love love LOVE comments! Please take a second and leave me one... it'll make my day!