In the meantime, I thought I'd share a fool-proof formula for a welcoming, coastal-style entryway, whether you like to Buy It, or DIY It!
1. Table it.Whether you use it as a dropping zone for your keys and mail, or just a place to hold decorations that make you smile when you come home at night, an entry table is a must. (If you don't have room for a full table, hang a narrow shelf that's long enough to serve the same purpose!) Bonus points if it has room underneath to stash those pesky shoes and bags! For coastal style, pick one with a weathered feel:
If you want to BUY IT:
|Sources: Ebay; Wayfair; The Classy Home|
|Sources: Ana White; Take the Side Street, via Scribd; A Heartful Home|
2. Mirror, mirror, on the wall...An entryway mirror is handy, not just for reflecting light, but also for checking your face for that stray brownie crumb before you leave the house! (What, you've never left the grocery store after shopping and then realized you still had a dark smudge around your mouth from lunch earlier, making you look like the "Great Bearded Woman"?)
When it comes to an entry mirror, I am a firm believer in "GO BIG OR GO HOME"! Pick a mirror that is at least 2/3 the width of your console table (but no wider than the table). For true coastal style, choose one with a touch of imperfection, be it weathered wood, or antiqued glass.
|Sources: Wayfair; Horchow, via Ebay; Wayfair|
|Sources: Design Sponge; The Wood Grain Cottage; View Along the Way|
3. Glamorous glass.
Whether it be a lamp, a vase, or an oversized lantern, glass adds sparkle and shine, just like waves sparkling in the sun! Bonus points if your glass is green or blue (like seaglass!) ;)
4. Add texture, naturally!
|Sources: Shades of Light; Seaside Inspired; Wayfair|
|Sources: Eclectically Vintage; Miss Kopy Kat, via Amanda Jane Brown; Sand and Sisal|
4. Add texture, naturally!
For the finishing touch, don't forget to add plenty of natural beachy texture with rope, wicker, or weathered wood! (Sisal or wicker baskets are great for serving a duel purpose-- corralling loose shoes or bags, and bringing that perfect seaside texture!) Ahhhh, do you smell that salty air yet? ;)
|Sources: Pottery Barn; Etsy; Ballard Designs|
|Sources: Sand and Sisal; Creative in Chicago; Completely Coastal|
5. Creatures of the sea.
Oh, I almost forgot! If you're going for an obvious coastal touch, tuck a starfish, seahorse, or piece of coral into your entry display, and there you are! (If you like to keep your look more subtle, stick to #'s 1-4 for a textural, "I live by the beach" feel!)
A stylish table + a rustic mirror + glass + natural texture + sea creature = a beautiful coastal entryway!
Here are a few of my favorite coastal entryways. Can you see spy the different elements in the formula?
|House of She|
|Ciao! Newport Beach|
All this beachy beauty makes me swoon! What is your favorite element to include in your entryway? Are you a "buyer" or a "DIYer"? Or a bit of both, like me?
|Did you miss any of the other 31 Days of Coastal Style posts? Check the list out here!|
- Nifty Thrifty Things: Nifty Thrifty Sunday
- Southern Hospitality Blog: Thrifty Treasures
- Under the Table and Dreaming: Sunday Showcase Party
- Craft-O-Maniac: Craft-O-Maniac Mondays
- DebbieDoos: Newbie Party
- Flour Me With Love: Mix-It-Up Monday
- This Gal Cooks (formerly Jam's Corner): Marvelous Mondays Link Party
- Adventures Of a DIY Mom: Terrific Tuesdays
- Coastal Charm: Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
- Elizabeth & Co.: Be Inspired Link Party
- Kathe With An E: You're Gonna Love It Tuesday
- Mercy Ink Blog: All Things Heart & Home Link-up
- My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia: Tuesday's Treasures
- The Winthrop Chronicles: Share It Link Party
- Embracing Change: Creative Inspirations Link Party
- Hooking Up w/ House of Hepworths
- The 36th Avenue: Party Time!
- Uncommon: Uncommonly Yours Link Party
- Vintage Gwen: Show & Share
- Live, Laugh, Rowe: Live Laugh Linky Thursday
- My Repurposed Life: Catch As Catch Can
- The Shabby Creek Cottage: Transformation Thursday
- Two Yellow Birds Decor: Thursday's Temptation
- A Heart 4 Home: Finished Friday
- Chic on a Shoestring Decorating: Flaunt It Friday
- Decorating Insanity: Furniture Friday
- Five Days, Five Ways: Feature Friday Free-for-All
- Here Comes the Sun: Fabulous Friday
- Jennifer Rizzo: Fabulously Creative Friday
- Miss Mustard Seed: Furniture Feature Friday
- The Cottage Market: Junkin' Joe Party
- Two Sasters: TGIF Party