Monday, August 13, 2012

Chairs, Chairs, Everywheres!

I think I may have a chair problem. As in, I love them too much! I just made the discovery that I have at least EIGHT chairs sitting in my “project room” waiting to be given new life! :) And all of them are waiting for me to make the decision of just how to remake them!


You see, the biggest problem with redoing furniture on a budget is not buying the furniture itself, but finding the right products for the makeover at the right price! If you're not very patient, the price of the fabric to redo a chair can far exceed the cost of the chair itself! Hence my stash of chairs-- most of them are waiting, not only for a final decision on how I want to redo them, but for the perfect fabric with which to bring them back to life (preferably at a minimum cost!)


My first contribution to the stash was these dining chairs (and their 3 identical friends), which I brought home in my giant rummage sale haul! They are waiting for me to either 1) find the right fabric to redo the seats in, and then paint the wood (in a to-be-decided color: pale green, like these? Light aqua [like these]? Or plain white?), or 2) make white linen/dropcloth slipcovers for them (like these), and leave the wood & seats untouched.
The next addition to the hoard was this lovely wing chair, which I snagged at Goodwill for $9.99! She/he is extremely solid, and the upholstery is in great condition except for one cigarette burn on the seat back, and the usual wear on the arms and edge of the seat.  I am having a difficult time deciding whether to try painting the fabric, like this beauty (and risk not being happy with the results and wasting the money on the paint), or going ahead and buying fabric and making a slipcover (which, with my rudimentary sewing skills, would be quite an undertaking). So more decisions!
But my latest chair infatuation is with this beautiful basket chair! I actually spied it at Goodwill last Monday, with a price tag of $12.99. It is pretty gray and weathered from age, but the wicker itself looks all strong and intact. I left without it, but kept thinking about it all week long (my #1 criteria for buying a “pricier” item—it must be something I can’t put out of my mind!) For me, it brought back some of my very first memories, of swinging with my Grandma in a hanging basket chair. :) I also sat in it to “test” it out, and knew it would be a great curl-up-with-a-book-in-a-corner chair!

 So as soon as I could, I hoofed it back to Goodwill! The chair was still there, but the price tag was missing. So I carried it up to the front, and asked the cashier if they could retag it for me. She very nicely went back to ask the “price-person” how much it used to be. When she came back, she told me, “Well, he said he put $9.99 on it… but I think it’s pretty worn, so I’ll say $5.99!” Of course, I smiled, and nodded (all the while, my inner child was jumping up and down and hollering, “Woohoo!!!” I got it for less than half of what I was originally prepared to pay!
Fortunately, this chair seems like it will be a pretty easy makeover. (Fingers crossed!) All that I need to do is decide what color this beauty needs to be spray-painted! Here’s where you can help me… which color you think he should be?
Blue Ocean Breeze, Green Apple, or Lemon Grass?
Just for reference, here is a snapshot of the curtain fabric in my dining room— which also contains the “reading corner”:
Okay, after seeing these together, I have a pretty good idea of what color I’m going for :) Now I just need to find a (CHEAP) way to buy the paint (are there are 50% off coupons for Menards? LOL)
So what do you think? Do I need therapy for my chair addiction? ;) Am I the only one with a "stash" of projects waiting to be redone?

Parties I link to:

Sunday:
Monday:
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:
Saturday:

5 comments :

  1. I can totally see it in the lime or yellow!! Can't wait to see it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Came over from Winthrop. I am currently in love with Ocean Breeze so I would go with that and then you could just bring me the completed chair to match my plant tables because I, too, am a chair addict and have oodles of chairs waiting to be loved. One tip, my neighbor is a decorator. She saves left over fabric in a bin and when she fills it, she sells it to me for a ridiculously low price. I always have quite a selection for chair seats! Enjoyed your post and meeting your chairs!

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post caught my eye at Tuesday's Treasures... I see your dilemma there, but with the prices you paid you can afford to experiment. I Love the fabric sample from your dining room...all colors that make a home fresh and bright! I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first thought was orange for the wicker chair, but when I saw your three paint options I now understand your dilemma. All would look lovely with the curtains. I say green!

    xoxo, Tanya
    http://twelveoeight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I so have a chair addiction! They are usually cheap, easy to re-do, and FUN. You just keep feeding that addiction!!!

    Found you through Chic on a Shoestring. Your newest follower.....
    JL

    ReplyDelete

I love love LOVE comments! Please take a second and leave me one... it'll make my day!