Unfortunately, $170 is (slightly) out of my budget for a lamp. (Hey, it's still cheaper than this $230 one from Layla Grace!)
So last week, when I spotted this ginormous green seeded glass vase at Goodwill, I knew I could turn it into just the lamp I wanted! The only problem was the price: I've NEVER paid $19.99 for anything at Goodwill in my life! I walked away-- reluctantly.
I drooled over it every time I went in the store, though, and finally this week when payday arrived, I promised myself that if it was still there, I'd get it. (After all, it met my most important criteria for a large purchase: not being able to get it out of my head!)
And it was! *cue jumping up and down and clapping* (Though I did have to do some searching-- it was tucked away under a bottom shelf in another section! (I think someone else wanted it, too) ;)
It was time for a vase-to-lamp transformation!
1) Vase, plus...
...2) "cork" (actually a log swiped from our woodpile, that fit the opening perfectly-- which I then cut down to about 4" long), plus...
...3) lamp kit (mine actually came from my old lamp
... TADA! One gorgeous designer-knock-off lamp!
I had picked the shade up at a garage sale, but it has several cracks in the plastic lining that show up when the light is on. :( Solution: cover it with sisal rope! Unfortunately, I had already hot-glued several rows of rope around the shade, when I realized I was going to run out of rope before it was completely covered. So I just stopped with a border... then I realized that I kind of like it that way ;)
Now I need you to help me decide whether I should leave it with the rope border, or go ahead and buy more and finish covering the whole shade ;) (like this one)
One of the parts that I really love about this lamp is the battery-operated twig lights that came inside the vase! (So the base lights up, too!)
Shh... don't tell my husband, but I think I'm in love! ;)
So have you ever transformed a vase-- or any object-- into a lamp? Or made over a lamp shade? Let me know!
Parties I link to:Sunday:
- Nifty Thrifty Things: Nifty Thrifty Sunday
- Southern Hospitality Blog: Thrifty Treasures
- Under the Table and Dreaming: Sunday Showcase Party
- Craft-O-Maniac: Craft-O-Maniac Mondays
- Flour Me With Love: Mix-It-Up Monday
- This Gal Cooks (formerly Jam's Corner): Marvelous Mondays Link Party
- Adventures Of a DIY Mom: Terrific Tuesdays
- Coastal Charm: Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
- Elizabeth & Co.: Be Inspired Link Party
- Kathe With An E: You're Gonna Love It Party
- Mercy Ink Blog: All Things Heart & Home Link-up
- My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia: Tuesday's Treasures
- Uncommon: Uncommonly Yours Link Party
- The Winthrop Chronicles: Share It Link Party
- Embracing Change: Creative Inspirations Link Party
- Hooking Up w/ House of Hepworths
- The 36th Avenue: Party Time!
- Vintage Gwen: Show & Share
- Live, Laugh, Rowe: Live Laugh Linky Thursday
- My Repurposed Life: Catch As Catch Can
- The Shabby Creek Cottage: Transformation Thursday
- Two Yellow Birds Decor: Thursday's Temptation
- A Heart 4 Home: Finished Friday
- Chic on a Shoestring Decorating: Flaunt It Friday
- Decorating Insanity: Furniture Friday
- Five Days, Five Ways: Feature Friday Free-for-All
- Here Comes the Sun: Fabulous Friday
- Jennifer Rizzo: Fabulously Creative Friday
- Miss Mustard Seed: Furniture Feature Friday
- The Cottage Market: Junkin' Joe Party
- Two Sasters: TGIF Party