Saturday, September 1, 2012

Keep Calm And... Make a "Keep Calm" Poster

Warning: this post is NOT about an incredibly designed DIY project, thrifty find, or any other productive project. As a matter of fact, reading this post may result in large amounts of time wasted spent indulging in flights of creative frivolity, along with quite a few belly laughs.)






What's more addicting than pinning all the awesome "Keep Calm" posters cropping up all over Pinterest? Why making your own, of course!

This week, while seeking to satisfy my curiosity about the origin of this ubiquitous and much-parodied poster, I came across www.KeepCalmandCarryOn.com. 


The original version


Not only did this website confirm what I had figured-- that this poster was a WWII poster, commissioned by the British government as part of the homefront morale-building efforts-- but even more importantly, it has an incredibly addictive Keep Calm and Carry On Creator. Yes, that's right, you can customize your own "Keep Calm" posters-- everything from the text, to the background, and even the little picture at the top! You can then pin the results of your brilliant creativity, or even have it made into anything from a poster to a coffee mug!

Here is a small sample of the ones I made while I should have been cleaning my kitchen:


(Sidebar: Interestingly enough, according to KeepCalmandCarryOn.com, the original "Keep Calm and Carry On" poster was intended only for use in the event of a German invasion of Great Britain. Therefore, it was never seen by the public. It wasn't until 2000 that it was discovered by a UK bookseller, who decided to print copies of it for sale. And, as they say, the rest is history. Now you can find parodied versions of it plastered everywhere, like "Keep Calm and Call Batman"-- or the hilariously flipside version, "Now Panic and Freak Out".














 







If you want to have as much fun as I did, making half a million of your own "Keep Calm" posters, go here.

If you'd like to follow my "Keep Calm..." Pinterest board and see more of these hilarious posters (and repin them... thereby validating all the hours I've spenting conjuring them up), go here (pretty, pretty please?!?)

If you do end up making some of your own, feel free to share your links in the comment section! I'd love to see your creativity!


(Please note: I have been in no way compensated by, nor am I in any way connected with, the owners of KeepCalmandCarryOn.com. As a matter of fact, I highly doubt they even know I exist! If you ever do see this, though, whoever you are, I sure wouldn't mind a free poster or two! LOL)

Photobucket

Parties I link to:

Sunday:
Monday:
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:
Saturday:

8 comments :

  1. This is so much fun!
    Keep calm and post on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness...so fun! You brightened my day! Thanks for sharing at It's Overflowing!

    XO, Aimee
    http://www.itsoverflowing.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you could make your own. How fun! Might have to add this to my half bath reno. Hmmm...wonder what's clever to put in a bathroom :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting! I always wondered how those posters came about and how fun that you can create your own. Thanks for the little tid bit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathryn,
    Great posters, especially the "Magnify Jesus" one! If I were to make one, it would say "Keep Calm & Pass the Chocolate." :-)

    Thanks so much for visiting and commenting on Saved by Grace! Your blog is a blessing and I am now following it, and I invite you to follow Saved by Grace also:
    http://savedbygracebiblestudy.blogspot.com/
    Love in Him,
    Laurie Collett

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found you on Elizabeth & Co. Blog, and the title made me laugh out loud so I had to come read it. I should be working. I'm actually behind on my work & won't get to leave on time, but this was WELL WORTH IT! I actually just bought a set of rubber stamps this week that say "Keep Calm and ______ On" with fill-in-the-blank stamps that say craft, sew, paint... and something else. I'm making coasters. :D I also got a (free) coffee mug that says "Keep Calm and Drink On" so thankyouthankyouthankyou for letting me know there is actually a make-your-own website for this. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very fun! And I loved reading the back story on how this got started!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not going to check it out just now, cause I have too much to do, but will be pinning this later cause you just got "caught"!
    Love your versions!

    gail

    ReplyDelete

I love love LOVE comments! Please take a second and leave me one... it'll make my day!