For a cheapskate like me, who prides myself on how 99% of my house came from thrift stores or garage sales, it was quite a jump to spend $85 on one item! But since I had done a lot of "testing" and "research" to nail down my personal style, it was actually a pretty easy decision. They say every room needs a "statement piece"-- something brings the entire room together and "finishes" it. And this is just the piece I needed!
Be still my heart... look at those layers of rustic wood!
And I'm completely crushing on those nailhead details on the fabric accent details...
... even if my hubby calls it a "porthole", and Monkey #1 says it's a "life preserver" ;) Which doesn't bother me at all, since I consider my style "casual coastal chic!"
The wood is actually quite a bit darker than I expected, and when I first opened it up, I thought I was going to have to whitewash it to make it lighter... but I decided to hang it up and see how I liked it first.
And I'm glad I did, because it ties in perfectly with the other scattered dark wood tones around the room, without being too dark!
Oh, and did I mention it's a whopping 3 feet wide? I knew any mirror I found would have to be at least 31", because this wall is 14 feet wide! Most mirrors this size run in the $200-$500 range, so $85 for a 36" mirror was really not too shabby of a deal! And you know how I love deals... ;)
I do think I'm gonna have to give that "cherry" end table a paint treatment, though, so there's not so much "dark" in one corner-- I'm thinking light blue, and maybe some stenciling? Any ideas?
This room is SOOO hard to photograph... in real life, the couches are sage green, but apparently the light from my north-facing windows makes them read gray/brown in EVERY picture I take! :/ One of these days I'll just have to mess around with my camera awhile longer till I can figure out the right settings, so that I can actually give you a real room reveal!
So there's my first-ever "splurge" for my home. :) Though, I don't really consider it TOO much of a splurge, seeing that:
- It's something I had been keeping an eye out for a loooong time!
- I knew I couldn't make one (trust me, I tried... it was my first epic DIY fail-- maybe someday I'll tell you about it) ;)
- It was a much better price than other mirrors of comparable size (I did my comparison shopping!), and,
- it fit my decorating style perfectly!
So what do you think? Are you more willing to splurge on a "statement piece"-- something that you know will tie your room together? What are your criteria for big decor purchases?
P.S. I'm soooo excited... Thursday I'll be doing my first giveaway!!! If you are a parent, homeowner, babysitter or anyone with information to organize, you'll want to enter!
Parties I link to:Sunday:
- Nifty Thrifty Things: Nifty Thrifty Sunday
- Southern Hospitality Blog: Thrifty Treasures
- Under the Table and Dreaming: Sunday Showcase Party
- Craft-O-Maniac: Craft-O-Maniac Mondays
- DebbieDoos: Newbie Party
- Flour Me With Love: Mix-It-Up Monday
- This Gal Cooks (formerly Jam's Corner): Marvelous Mondays Link Party
- Adventures Of a DIY Mom: Terrific Tuesdays
- Coastal Charm: Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
- Elizabeth & Co.: Be Inspired Link Party
- Kathe With An E: You're Gonna Love It Tuesday
- Mercy Ink Blog: All Things Heart & Home Link-up
- My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia: Tuesday's Treasures
- The Winthrop Chronicles: Share It Link Party
- Embracing Change: Creative Inspirations Link Party
- Hooking Up w/ House of Hepworths
- The 36th Avenue: Party Time!
- Uncommon: Uncommonly Yours Link Party
- Vintage Gwen: Show & Share
- Live, Laugh, Rowe: Live Laugh Linky Thursday
- My Repurposed Life: Catch As Catch Can
- The Shabby Creek Cottage: Transformation Thursday
- Two Yellow Birds Decor: Thursday's Temptation
- A Heart 4 Home: Finished Friday
- Chic on a Shoestring Decorating: Flaunt It Friday
- Decorating Insanity: Furniture Friday
- Five Days, Five Ways: Feature Friday Free-for-All
- Here Comes the Sun: Fabulous Friday
- Jennifer Rizzo: Fabulously Creative Friday
- Miss Mustard Seed: Furniture Feature Friday
- The Cottage Market: Junkin' Joe Party
- Two Sasters: TGIF Party