|The Canon PowerShot SX1 IS currently owns my wish list ;) Though it lists on Amazon for $274-$590, on eBay they are generally under $200-- only $30-$50 more than the SX10.|
This is where YOU come in! Ya see, I currently have a plain-Jane point-and-shoot camera (the Nikon Coolpix S3000), which I use for all my blogging as well as family picture taking. While it is a great pocket camera for things like zoo trips and family outings, I am NOT satisfied with the quality of the indoor photos that I take for my blog. (And trust me, I've tried every scene setting on that thing...) I really want a camera with manual controls, so that I can adjust things like depth of field and ISO. However, I know my budget of $100-$200 will not permit me to touch anything like a full-featured DSLR (*sigh*), so I know I'm looking for a couple-year-old bridge camera. I've actually narrowed it down-- I think-- to a Canon Powershot SX10 IS or, preferably, an SX1 IS (if I can snag one within my price range on eBay).
Both of them have 10 megapixels, with 20x wide angle, image stabilized (that's important, 'cuz I have pretty shaky hands) optical zoom. The SX1 has a CMOS sensor, which I am told is better than the CCD sensor that the SX10 has. The SX1 can also shoot HD video (vs. the SX10's standard 480p video)-- a BIG plus-- and can shoot in RAW format, as well (though that really isn't as much of an issue with me). Most importantly, they can both be found on eBay for under $200!
|The Canon Powershot SX10 would be my second choice, I think...|
Of course, there's always the option of getting a newer camera within the same price range (such as the Canon Powershot SX500), with more megapixels and more zoom , but with smaller aperture, CCD sensor instead of CMOS (like the SX1), and no hot-shoe to attach an external flash. (Oh, and no flip-out screen either, which, while not a must, is still pretty cool) ;) I HAVE done my research enough to know that more megapixels does not equal better pictures, especially if the sensor is still the same size; so the megapixel # doesn't make as much difference to me as the zoom might. :) (As long as I don't plan on printing out billboards, I think I'm fine with the 10.1 mp size of the SX1 or SX10)
Oh, and just so you know, I'm not being paid/compensated/reimbursed by Canon or anything, and I'm certainly not stuck on the Canon bandwagon... they just seemed to have the best reviews and the best features within my price range. :) If you think otherwise, please let me know!
So, all you photography/blogging buffs out there, what is your opinion? If you had to choose between an older camera with less megapixels but more features, and a newer one with more mps/zoom, but less "higher-end" features, which would you choose? What is your favorite camera for blogging purposes?
Please, HELP, so I can get this Christmas list to my hubby before he gives up and goes to Bath & Body Works (not that I mind B&BW products for Christmas-- it's just that this time I'm really hoping for something ELSE!) ;)
UPDATE: My decision has been further complicated by the discovery of TWO new frontrunners: the Nikon Coolpix P500:
and the Sony CyberShot DSC-HX100V.
Grateful for your opinion,
Parties I link to:Sunday:
- Nifty Thrifty Things: Nifty Thrifty Sunday
- Southern Hospitality Blog: Thrifty Treasures
- Under the Table and Dreaming: Sunday Showcase Party
- Craft-O-Maniac: Craft-O-Maniac Mondays
- DebbieDoos: Newbie Party
- Flour Me With Love: Mix-It-Up Monday
- This Gal Cooks (formerly Jam's Corner): Marvelous Mondays Link Party
- Adventures Of a DIY Mom: Terrific Tuesdays
- Coastal Charm: Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
- Elizabeth & Co.: Be Inspired Link Party
- Kathe With An E: You're Gonna Love It Tuesday
- Mercy Ink Blog: All Things Heart & Home Link-up
- My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia: Tuesday's Treasures
- The Winthrop Chronicles: Share It Link Party
- Embracing Change: Creative Inspirations Link Party
- Hooking Up w/ House of Hepworths
- The 36th Avenue: Party Time!
- Uncommon: Uncommonly Yours Link Party
- Vintage Gwen: Show & Share
- Live, Laugh, Rowe: Live Laugh Linky Thursday
- My Repurposed Life: Catch As Catch Can
- The Shabby Creek Cottage: Transformation Thursday
- Two Yellow Birds Decor: Thursday's Temptation
- A Heart 4 Home: Finished Friday
- Chic on a Shoestring Decorating: Flaunt It Friday
- Decorating Insanity: Furniture Friday
- Five Days, Five Ways: Feature Friday Free-for-All
- Here Comes the Sun: Fabulous Friday
- Jennifer Rizzo: Fabulously Creative Friday
- Miss Mustard Seed: Furniture Feature Friday
- The Cottage Market: Junkin' Joe Party
- Two Sasters: TGIF Party